Saturday, February 1, 2014

Rosemary Roasted Walnuts


I used to hate walnuts. I think it might have to do with my mom never liking them when I was a kid but over the last year or so I have started re tasting foods that I haven't been a fan of.  Suddenly I like black olives on pizza & pickled beets - so I figured it would be time to give walnuts another chance.  You could easily swap in pecans, cashews, or any nut of your choosing,  if walnuts aren't your thing. 

1 bag (4 cups) raw walnuts
2-3 springs fresh rosemary, stems removed. 
1 tsp sea salt to start, then add to taste when they come out 
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup olive oil

Mix together, rosemary, salt, sugar and olive oil. Toss raw walnuts to coat. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. 

Bake in 350 degree preheated oven until toasted and brown, stirring periodically, careful not to burn.  Mine took twenty minutes.  Salt to taste. 


Let cool and enjoy! 



1 comment:

  1. I've always loved cashews, but switched to walnuts in an attempt to eat less because I tend to just keep eating cashews like potato chips, but can be more satisfied with just a handful of walnuts. I like them toasted, not raw, but need to always watch them carefully because they burn so easily!

    Good for you on trying foods you think you don't like just to challenge yourself and see if it's still really true! I had the same thoughts on olives even up to a year ago, but when forced to eat them politely in company discovered actually I do like them and I'd been eating non as tasty olives probably sourced from a can apparently before so didn't know what I was missing.

    ReplyDelete